1. Target marks down the clearance items in each department on a specific day. This schedule may vary a bit from store to store, but for the most part these are the days that each departments get marked down. Here is the schedule for each department:
Monday – Electronics, Accessories, Kids Clothing, Books, Baby and Stationery
Tuesday — Domestics, Women’s Clothing, Pets and Market (food items)
Wednesday — Men’s Clothing, Health and Beauty, Diapers, Lawn & Garden items and Furniture
Thursday — Housewares, Lingerie, Shoes, Toys, Sporting Goods, Decor & Luggage
Friday — Auto, Cosmetics, Hardware, & Jewelry
2. Target will price-match Amazon.com. That’s huge for people who regularly shop on the online shopping giant. There are a few stipulations of course. For example, Target will not price match Amazon marketplace items, which are those sold and shipped by 3rd party sellers. Also, the item that you want price matched must be identical in every way to the item you found elsewhere for cheaper. It must be the same brand, size, color, quantity, model number – everything. If there is even a slight difference, Target will not match the price.
3. What’s on clearance at Target today could be a gold-mine at Goodwill tomorrow. After Target puts certain items on clearance and they still don’t sell, they will then donate those items to Goodwill. Goodwill will in-turn sell those items for a lower price. So don’t give up next time you can’t find something at a Target. Stop by a few Goodwill stores nearby and you may find what you’re looking for.
5. If the price of the item on clearance ends in $0.06 or $0.08, the item will be marked down again during the next markdown cycle as long as there is inventory in the store. The item typically will remain at the next percentage off for two weeks before progressing to the next level.
Price Tags Ending With $0.04: If the last number in the price of the item ends in $0.04, the item has been marked for final clearance, and this is the lowest price that Target will sell the item.
Random Price Tag Endings: Often, Target price tags end with $0.00, $0.01, $0.05, $0.07, etc. I spoke with some store managers and was told these endings are arbitrary and simply indicate an item is on clearance with no specific meaning, and the item will continue on its clearance cycle.
5. The clearance items at Target will have a red sticker. In the lower right hand corner you will see the price they are currently marked down to. The lower left hand corner will show you what the original price was. Plus, you can find the percentage of the markdown in the upper right hand corner, so you don’t have to do the math! Not only does Target know their customers, but they know how much we hate math. Clearance prices generally end in either a 4 or an 8.
6. You will receive $0.05 for each reusable bag you use at Target. Sure – it doesn’t sound like very much, but if you’re a regular shopper at Target like most of us are, it adds up over time.
via A Cup Full
8. The Cartwheel app is a free app that Target recently debuted. It offers several deals that will change weekly and offer different ways to save than the Target app does. For example: One week Cartwheel may offer 15% off a set of sheets and the next, 10% off all pillows. You can search the app easily and find exactly what you need to buy.
9. Target takes their returns very seriously! They enforce a limit on the number of returns you can make without a receipt. It’s no more than $75 a year. Also, all electronics and entertainment purchases have a limited amount of time in which they may be returned or exchanged. You have 30 days after the day of purchase. You also don’t even have to leave your home to return an item. Send it back by mail! Just visit the online return center and print out a prepaid return label. Target will pay the return shipping fees.
10. Beyond the 5% off the card gives its users, RED card debit and credit card holders will receive an extra 30 days to return nearly all items purchased with their RED card at Target and Target.com. And there’s no annual fee.
Have your own life cheats and hacks or tips and tricks for shopping at “Tarjay”? Post them in the comments below!